[Testing] Software update problems in OLPC 10.1.3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jan 12 22:32:21 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 05:51:51PM -0800, S Page wrote:
> Is there a guide somewhere to debugging Sugar on OLPC/XO?  I'm used to
> gdb and know basic Python syntax, but I if there isn't a smoking gun
> in a log file the only way I know to debug Sugar code is to root
> around files in /usr/lib/python2.6/sige-packages/{sugar,jarabe} stick
> print lines in likely functions, and just rerun until something
> meaningful appears.  Surely there's a better way!

The method you describe is mostly what I do.  I had a quick look for a
better way, and successfully installed winpdb on 10.1.2 using yum, then
attached the debugger to the Moon activity, with winpdb displayed to my
desktop using X over SSH.  I had to add a line to Moon before it
started.

http://winpdb.org/docs/embedded-debugging/

It wasn't fast, but it was better than nothing.

There was also:
http://code.google.com/p/winpdb/wiki/DebuggingTutorial

--
James Cameron