[Testing] [olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 12 February 2011

Rafael Ortiz rafael at activitycentral.com
Tue Feb 15 10:55:04 EST 2011

Hi Tabitha, Tom

Sorry for the delayed reply.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz>
wrote:
Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 12 February 2011

Who: Tom, Tabitha

WikipediaEN-25 on os300py on the XO-1
Searching for "monkey" yields a massive page on the Arctic Monkeys but no
page on regular monkeys! "Wiki Groaning" fully operational!
There is quite a lot of html code visible on the Arctic_Monkeys page.
On the Sulfur page, we see the text "++NS not implemented++" and the "side
bar" on the right visible on the real wikipedia is missing. This is a big
loss as it contains a lot of the basic facts about the element which are not
reproduced in the main text of the article.
Some links are blue but result in a 301 redirect to the real wikipedia:
On Kindergarten, German_Language (with link text "German")
On Logic, Mathmatical_Logic (with link text "formal logic" in italic) (in
addition, right click on this link does not produce a context menu)
On Afghanistan, Foreign_affairs (with link text "foreign affairs")
It would be good to have a home button, as the only navigation tools are the
search, the links on the page and back. Every page has a "From Wikipedia..."
link at the top which points to the real wikipedia. Maybe this should be
re-written to point to the starting portal page?
Performance is reasonably good on the XO-1 but there is no feedback when you
click on something until the page starts loading.

OLPC is working on having a better wikipedia,
we are waiting for a +1 for uploading to activities.sugarlabs.org, for me
wikipedia is crucial for deploments.

Blocku on 439dx 0.88.1
Appears in a window with window manager chrome at the top. The actual game
is pushed down by the height of the title bar and the bottom is chopped off.
We didn't try moving this window around.
Control of the mouse pointer is still erratic. It appears to be buffering
mouse events and processing them slowly so that when you stop moving the
mouse, the pointer catches up. This behaviour isn't consistent -- on the
instructions screen it is worse than on the main menu.
If you use the rocker to move the pointer, it stops responding to mouse
events. In this state, if you move the mouse to the top of the screen, the
sugar cursor appears and while flickering, behaves normally.
Escape X key exits game which is good if you're having trouble with the
pointer.

We have many activities that have problems with the new window manager, we
have to fix that.
Also I have to look into the mouse problem.

gCompris activities have coloured icons. Sugar's user colour thing doesn't
work but I guess that is intended

GCompris Bargame on 439dx 0.88.1
Failed first game, Passed the second game, but then it crashed the game. No
buttons were responding. Nothing using CPU really. Tried to "stop" activity
from frame and then got "metacity" error message saying force quit or wait.
Did force quit. Logs show a problem:
sys:1: GtkWarning: gtk_window_set_type_hint: assertion `!GTK_WIDGET_VISIBLE
(window)' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/GComprisBargame.activity/.0sugar/implementations/sha1new=9f428b6600f555a8d1e26b740d1a4f9ce43a3379/share/gcompris/python/bargame.py",
line 519, in ok_event
    self.ok()
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/GComprisBargame.activity/.0sugar/implementations/sha1new=9f428b6600f555a8d1e26b740d1a4f9ce43a3379/share/gcompris/python/bargame.py",
line 122, in ok
    self.play(self.answer.value,True)
  File
"/home/olpc/Activities/GComprisBargame.activity/.0sugar/implementations/sha1new=9f428b6600f555a8d1e26b740d1a4f9ce43a3379/share/gcompris/python/bargame.py",
line 267, in play
    self.holes[self.last_played].isGreen()
IndexError: list index out of range
/home/olpc/Activities/GComprisBargame.activity/.0sugar/implementations/sha1new=9f428b6600f555a8d1e26b740d1a4f9ce43a3379/share/gcompris/python/bargame.py:251:
Warning: g_object_get_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  svg_handle = gcompris.skin.svg_get(),
/home/olpc/Activities/GComprisBargame.activity/.0sugar/implementations/sha1new=4366ff2bb71213ec47fd06065745e87759f9eef6/bin/gcompris:
line 2:  3839 Killed                  $(dirname $0)/gcompris.orig -l
/strategy/bargame $@
Exited with status 137, pid 3798 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w'
at 0x9b3ef70>, 'c0b14326934e444bb6712532cb684f37f1903073')

This is new http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2619

GCompris Ballcatch on 439dx 0.88.1
Have to press two shift keys together, aimed at toddlers I think. Doesn't
get any harder.

No info on this.

GCompris Baby shapes on 439dx 0.88.1
mouse/touchpad issues, delays make it very hard to play for adult let alone
a small child

This seams related to XO-1, worth investigating
if this can be improved somehow.

GCompris Anim on 439dx 0.88.1
Clicked rectangle in the tool palette, click and drag to place the item on
the canvas and the activity crashed and closed. Repeatable with other
rectangle tool too. Logs don't indicate a core-dump, they do say "Exited
with status 0, pid ..." which looks like a normal exit.

Maybe upstream?

GCompris Algebra Plus and Algebra Minus on 439dx 0.88.1
Both activities work, but I am not sure why they are called algebra (thought
that was when there were letters instead of numbers, no letters in sight)
Long delay between when you win and when the ha-ha noise emerges

Could be an Upstream issue also.

GCompris Algebra Guesscount on 439dx 0.88.1
Mouse is fairly responsive, but whenever you click on something, the mouse
freezes while the action is processed.
If your division doesn't result in an integer, you can't select the divisor.
There is no message explaining that you can't do this, clicking just does
nothing.
Quickly gets very difficult, good for math freaks, too hard for me.

GCompris Advanced Colors on 439dx 0.88.1
The user has to guess the colour to match the word displayed, good little
game, works. Uses American spelling of "color".

This could be issued as improvements for upstream.