[Testing] [OLPC New Zealand] New prototype XO-1.75s in Auckland, New Zealand

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Wed Aug 24 06:57:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 21:46 +1000, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:

> I have noticed on the 1.5 and 1.75 mouse that if my finger is too far
> forward on the button it overhangs the pad and gives a jumpy cursor.
> The pad is not sure which finger to track.

I tried very carefully using one finger from directly above (no button
pressing and no other hands nearby) and still experience the jumpy
cursor problem. I was also able to make it jump diagonally, mostly at 45
degrees. It was most noticeable while rolling the finger where large
jumps often occur. Watching carefully reveals the pointer also doesn't
quite follow the finger in normal motion too, sometimes following an arc
when the finger is moving straight, other times just being slightly
disconcerting. In normal motion the problem is often subtle and I might
not have noticed it if it wasn't obvious while rolling. The problem took
a little while to show up this evening -- everything seemed normal for 5
or 10 minutes or so.

All my testing so far has been on battery power (battery life seems
excellent by the way)

I haven't played much with the membrane keyboard unit today, but will
give it a finger rolling workout tomorrow.