[Testing] how i FINALLY got MP3's to work on Release 10.1.3 tonight ; )

Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Apr 21 00:23:59 EDT 2011

On 4/20/2011 11:24 PM, Yamandu Ploskonka wrote:
> Are we allowed to image those files somewhere to make it easy for
> others?  Evidence shows that MP3 play appears as al all-time favorite
> use of XOs

(I'm not sure but my recipe was just tested/fixed/cleaned up below
for Release 10.1.x XO-1.5 -- can someone retest below on XO-1 ?!)

Open the Terminal Activity, make sure you're online, and then run these
3 commands:

      su

      rpm -Uvhhttp://rpm.livna.org/livna-release.rpm  http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/rpmfusion-free-release-11-1.noarch.rpm  http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

      yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Type in 'y' when prompted (twice).  Takes about a couple min and you're
all set!   MP3 songs should then play in Sugar and Gnome!  Drag some MP3
songs from a USB stick to your Journal and try it.

In plain English, these are the 2 critical steps, necessary since MP3
encoding remains somewhat patented/proprietary:

      http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
      http://www.fedorafaq.org/#mp3

(In the end the only hard part was finding these ancient rpmfusion-free
and rpmfusion-nonfree bits for Fedora 11, hidden deep in this download
site...)

      http://download1.rpmfusion.org

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !