[Testing] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 21 November 2010

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:53:31 EST 2010

Hi Simon,

On 22 Nov 2010, at 13:41, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 11/21/2010 02:39 AM, Gary Martin wrote:
>> Hi Tabitha (&  congrats on the award btw),
>>
>> On 20 Nov 2010, at 23:00, Tabitha Roder wrote:
>>
>>> Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 21 November 2010
>>>
>>> Who: Fabiana, Mat, Robin, Tabitha, Tom
>>
>> -- snip -- snip --
>>
>>> Tested Physics-4. Found could not grab and drag items when you pause time, would like to be able to reposition things on the screen. There is a Physics-5 that does this, can this build include Physics-5.
>>
>> +1 on including a morecurrent Physics.
>>
>> However Physics-7 (see on ASLO) is the current release and tested against 0.82, 0.84, and preview 0.90 builds on XO-1 hardware (and some Fedora VMs). Plenty of worthy tweaks and fixes since Physics-4 which is almost a year old now...
>>
>> V5
>> - Added support for new toolbar design for Sugar 0.86 (old toolbars still work for Sugar 0.84 and back)
>> - Objects can now be moved with the Grab tool while the simulation is paused!
>> - Tool code cleanup and refactoring
>> - Includes latest translations
>>
>> V6
>> - Physics now idles when in the background to free up the cpu and save power.
>> - Saves thumbnail image of simulation for details view in Journal.
>> - Better behaviour when attempting to create minimum sized triangles, boxes, and circles (SL#1249).
>> - Fixed new toolbars expanding separator from overflowing the Stop icons off the XO toolbar
>> - Fixed the python/gtk/pygame int/float bug affecting F14 based builds (SL#2363).
>> - Includes latest translations.
>> - Switch activity.info from using the depreciated class, to exec.
>> - Source code clean-up.
>>
>> V7
>> - Fix for cpu idling events when in background special case for Sugar 0.84.
>>
>> -- snip -- snip --
>>
>>> Thanks testers
>>> Tabitha
>>
>> Thanks all for your testing efforts!
>>
>> Regards
>> --Gary
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> did we ever solve/diagnose the segfault trace when closing the activity?

No :-( It appears to go way back and just never previously reported. I have some small hope that moving to Wade's sugargames rather than olpcgames (next on my Physics todo list) may help, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. Only vague debug plan I have is to start slicing out libs and exiting early, see if I can see which one of the various unusual bits in Physics might be to blame (pygame, olpcgames, box2d, elements).

Regards,
--Gary