[Testing] os240py - collaboration over wireless

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon May 31 21:59:49 EDT 2010

>> Activity sharing works via access point.
>>
>> Activity sharing works via "Create new wireless network" aka ad-hoc.
>
> I'm pretty sure this will be another case of there being no default
> multicast route.

I normally use wired ethernet, not wireless.  Back some months, I asked
how come all the XOs on my ethernet saw each other (i.e., there were
icons for all the XOs in every system's Neighborhood View), when some
systems had static ethernet IP-addresses (192.168...) and other systems
had "ad-hoc network" IP-addresses (at that time, the ad-hoc network was
assigning IP-addresses in the 10...  range).  The answer I got was that
the "presence detection" (or something) capability used multicast,
rather than depending upon "standard" interface defined IP-addresses.

What I noticed with os240py was that as soon as both system had
connected to the same wireless Mesh channel, each saw the other (i.e.,
Neighborhood View at both systems showed the icons for both systems).
Are you saying that the multicast capability that was explained to me
months ago was NOT active in os240py with only Mesh connected ?

[ Is there a command that I can manually enter at a Mesh-connected
os240py system to activate such a 'default multicast route' ? ]

mikus