[Testing] [olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 29 May 2010

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon May 31 10:46:13 EDT 2010

Hi Tabitha,

On 31 May 2010, at 05:51, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:

> On 31 May 2010 16:23, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 07:32:08PM +1200, Tabitha Roder wrote:
> > Write 67 - menus and buttons all changed - where is share with
> > neighbourhood?
>
> Sharing does work, I've tried it.
>
> We failed to see each others activities (at all) in the neighbourhood.
> Are you on mesh or local ad hoc or school server?
> We cannot collaborate on mesh with any activities. Tried mesh 1 and mesh 11.
>
> Mikus is also testing collaboration.
>
> It is worth noting that we like the new share with no words, just icons, as this is less to translate and is better for kids who can't read yet. Deployments who upgrade to this will have a momentary "oh no where is the share" as this is a change to how they used to do things but it looks like they will pick it up quickly.
> My two cents - I personally think the share options should always be viewable, or at least almost always be viewable as the first thing you do when you start writing - I want to write with my friends so start Write and share as first action.

Thanks, that's a good point to raise. Christian and I had quick #sugar-meeting on Saturday about some ongoing design plans to improve the resume/start behaviour. It's roughly a full screen dialogue (like the control panel and naming dialogues) that appear when an activity is clicked, and provides the features currently found in the hover home palettes. It's one solution to the, "if I click will it resume a previous session, or start new?"

Perhaps with this extra space it might be possible to introduce a way to 'start shared' for new activities.

Regards,
Gary