[Testing] os240py - collaboration over wireless

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat May 29 22:03:05 EDT 2010

[Disclaimer:  What I am currently exploring is how sugar0.88-on-XO1
behaves. I do not do much testing of system-to-system collaboration on
released builds, so I do not have a "base line" to compare against.]

Left the setup (with two os240py systems talking to each other over a
"new wireless network") up for a number of hours.  The collaborative
Activities continue to work fine.  What is problematic (and confusing to
the user) is the behavior of Neighborhood View:

With the passage of time (and no new input at the shared Activities) the
"Join this" icons have disappeared from the Neighborhood Views of the
systems which did not initiate that Activity - despite the connection
still being there, and inputs (when again entered) to shared Activities
still being applied simultaneously to both systems.  [Since the
collaboration is still ongoing, I suppose there is no need for "Join
this" icons - but I would prefer to see evidence of the existence of
such collaboration "pathways" in every system's Neighborhood View.]

Also with the passage of time (and no new input at the shared
Activities) the "show other participants" icons have disappeared from
the Neighborhood Views of the systems which initiated that Activity.
When inputs are again entered at the non-initiating system, the "show
other participants" icons reappear at the initiating system.  [The
intent may have been to show only *currently active* participants - but
since all participants would still receive all inputs being made, I
would prefer to see all participants (whether inactive or not) shown in
every system's Neighborhood View.]

I closed one Activity being shared across the "new wireless network" -
closed it both at the non-initiating system and at the initiating
system.  Yet the "Join this" __icon__ is still being displayed in the
Neighborhood View of the initiating system -- despite the existence of
that Activity having ended more than an hour ago.

[That leftover icon's palette says "Join " -- so I suspect it might be
the unused 'Mesh' interface that is keeping that icon alive.  When I
tried (unsuccessfully) collaborating over 'Mesh', that's what the icon
palettes in Neighborhood View said.  When I tried (successfully)
collaborating over the "new wireless network", the icon palettes in
Neighborhood View showed "Join" together with the activity_name.]

mikus