[Testing] USBs are not working with OS802B5.IMG

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Fri Mar 26 08:07:16 EDT 2010

Hi Danushka,

I think there is a bit of confusion with this. First -- it is _very_
unlikely that the OS802B5 build would do anything that kills USB in
any sense.

Can I suggest something? Put the devkey you have on a usb stick, and
boot the XO with that USB stick plugged. The XO will allow you to get
into OpenFirmware. There, issue the "disable-security" command.

More detailed instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_developer_keys#Disable_the_security_system

Why?  I suspect that you had the machine with security enabled but
with the devkeys in the /security directory (which makes it behave as
if it was disabled). When you installed the 802B5 build, it wiped the
/security directory.

Can you try the technique above and tell us how it goes? After
disabling security, OS802B5 should boot perfectly fine, and allow
access to your USB sticks.

cheers,

martin

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM, Dhanushka Nuwan
<dhanushkaprjct at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> Please find the steps which I have followed,
> 1.    Successfully Installed the latest version OS802B5.IMG and OS802B5.CRC
> using    developer key and USB
>
>   a.    Request and got the developer key
>   b.    Downloaded the latest build in to a USB
>   c.    When the machine is power off plugged the USB in to the machine
>   d.    Pressed the power button and then pressed the ESC button to get the
> OK prompt.
>   e.    I gave the necessary commands to install the build
>
>   2.    Removed the USB and restarted the machine
>   3.    Tried to update the activities using USB dongle
>
>   What I noticed was, machine didn’t recognize the USB dongles and at the
> same time wireless and hard disk drive indicators were not working.
>
> Can it be because of the installation of the latest version? Or it can be
> any other reason?
>
> Note: Before the installation machine functioned properly.
>

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dhanushka Nuwan wrote:
>> > We have installed OS802B5.IMG for XO-1.then we tyred to update the
>> > activities but we couldn't because USBs are not recognizing. could you
>> > please explain what is the reason for this?
>>
>> Please communicate the complete sequence of steps you followed -- and
>> all error messages / problems -- thanks!
>>
>> (Are these the same USB memory sticks working fine to install os115.zd
>> and F11-for-XO-1?)
>

> --
> Thank you and Regards
> -Dhanushka-