[Testing] need a clarification about sugar V 0.82

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Mar 22 02:56:56 EDT 2010

The software supplied with the XO consists of many components:

The "operating system" component is Linux

The distribution - which includes the operating system plus a collection
of supporting libraries and other programs - is based on Fedora 9.

The "desktop" - the graphical style whereby a user interacts with the
system to start and stop applications - is part of Sugar V0.82.  The
term "window manager" is often used instead of "desktop".

Sugar also includes a collection of "activities".  Other systems usually
use the work "applications" instead of "activities".

All of those components - operating system, distribution, Sugar desktop,
and Sugar activities - are stored in a "file system" that keeps track of
the individual pieces.  The file system consists of named "directories"
(also known as "folders" in some systems) and individual named files.

A copy of the file system, with all the pieces in their appropriate
places, is created on a "build machine".  A "snapshot" of that file
system is then stored in the ".img" file

The "copy-nand" command reads the ".img" file and uses it to create a
new copy of the file system on an XO machine's internal NAND FLASH.

The ".crc" file contains information that "copy-nand" uses to verify
that the ".img" file does not contain errors.  Sometimes such errors
occur during while downloading the .img file, and sometimes because of
faults in USB sticks where the .img file is stored.