[Testing] need a clarification about sugar V 0.82

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Mar 22 01:18:50 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:41:34AM +0530, Ruwan F'do wrote:
> As per my knowledge sugar V0.82 is OS of XO1.

Almost correct.  Sugar is the desktop component of the operating system
on XO-1.

> When we installing build 8.2.2 into XO1 we need .img file and .crc
> file related to build version according to the installation guide.

Yes.  The installation process uses firmware program built into laptop
to load the image file into the storage.

>   *  Is that .img file converted from the sugar V0.82?

Almost correct.  The image file is prepared by OLPC software using many
hundreds of components, among them is Sugar.

>   * What is the difference of sugar V0.82 and .img file?

Difference is of format and inclusions.

Sugar is not an operating system, it is a collection of programs that
form a desktop user experience.  An underlying operating system is
required.

OLPC merges Fedora 9 and Sugar to create the .img file.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/