[Testing] Actions: OLPC QA Call with Sri Lanka's Professional Volunteers

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Mar 9 11:33:45 EST 2010

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>> 7. Holt will SHIP 12 USB-to-Ethernet dongles from Boston to Sri Lanka.
>>

> I have extensive experience at using Ethernet.  Please don't hesitate to
> ask me if you have questions.
>

> In the meantime, some things to keep in mind:
>
>  *  The XOs expect a name server to be available on that Ethernet (to
> give out dynamic IPv4 addresses).  The Ethernet ought to also have an
> NTP server on it.

Nomenclature problem: Dynamic IPv4 addresses are given out by a DHCP
server, not
a name server.  Name servers (also known as "DNS servers") translate
textual names like
"dev.laptop.org" into numeric IP addresses; they have nothing at all to
do with the assignment
of dynamic IPv4 addresses.

The symptom of a DHCP server problem is that machine cannot obtain an IP
address for
itself - attempts to "bring up" the network interface will pause for a
long time and
eventually time out.  The symptom of a name server problem is that the
machine, after
the interface has already been brought up successfully, does not
recognize the names
of machines on the outside Internet - you get messages like "unknown
host" from commands
like "ping".

In some networks, the DHCP server program and the name server program
happen to
be running on the same machine - a computer or a router box.  But that
is not at all
necessary; they could be running on different machines in wildly
different locations.
The DHCP server must be local - on the same Ethernet to as Mikus puts it
- so your
machine can reach it by broadcasting, but the name server may be halfway
around the world.