[Testing] Test Cases Uploaded to WIKI

Chamindra de Silva chamindra at opensource.lk
Mon Jul 12 05:22:12 EDT 2010

Hi James,

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:41:30AM +0530, Chamindra de Silva wrote:
>> It has been a bit of a long process uploading the 800 test cases that
>> we captured in the WIKI format, however we have got most of them done
>> now. Thanks to Kirja and Dhanushka for their commitment on this. You
>> can find the test cases on:
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sri_Lanka_Testers
>
> Where are the test cases for hardware?  I see some of them are links to
> PDF, but we can't edit them.  How should others contribute to PDF files?
> Some of the hardware links are not yet filled in.

Oops I think that is still pending to be uploaded. As mentioned when
dealing with long tables it is a tedious process working with the WIKI
table syntax and the number of columns we have. You  get lost in all
the | | | | | |  syntax and which column is for what if you know what
I mean. IMHO it is not efficient at all and that is time better spent
testing. Again the comment on making the test case capture process as
easy as possible resonates here. However we can certainly copy the PDF
content into the WIKI for sure if that is valuable. This was a doc we
created to train a new batch of testers extracted from various parts
of the WIKI. If this is of value we can certainly share it on the WIKI
as well.

> The activity test cases would be quite useful for Sugar Labs.  Perhaps
> they should be informed.
>
>> Moving forward however I recommend that we do not use this approach
>> and rather stick to uploading the spreadsheets or start using a tool
>> like test link.
>
> I recommend against spreadsheets unless you figure out some way to
> facilitate collaboration with other testers.

The other options are tools like test link, but I personally find that
as discussed they are also less accessible for new testers. The good
thing about spreadsheets over WIKIs and new apps is that everyone
understands how they work and no one needs to go through a learning
curve to be trained on the WIKI syntax or an application, before they
can contribute test cases. The data can subsequently be used to
automatically generate reports on test coverage and stability. I agree
however that collaboration suffers because you cannot work on the same
sheet in parallel. We are open to better options. Test link actually
does reporting well, but there is a learning curve on the application.
Tim is following up with the NZ testers to see if it is something we
can use in collaboration to capture test cases.

If you want to try it out, Tim has setup an instance of TestLink here
http://people.sugarlabs.org/~tim/testing/. You can get a
username/password from him.

> How much external collaboration has happened so far?  How are you
> measuring it?  Looking at the Wiki history for those pages, it looks
> like your team has created the pages but no other contributions have
> happened.

Since we did that initial sprint of testing for 2-3 months when people
were allocated fulltime, we could not do much more based on time
availability. We have a new group in place volunteering to pick up
that again from India and Sri Lanka. That's kinda the model we have
for contribution as we mentioned when we started this based on the
spare capacity we have to donate. Which is why we are now focusing on
automation, as we hope to provide more continuity as batches of
testers join and leave.

> You could encourage contributions on the activity test cases by:
>
> 1.  telling the activity authors and maintainers,
>
> 2.  moving the test cases to Sugar Labs Wiki,
>
> 3.  referring to the test cases in the tickets you've raised with Sugar
> Labs,
>
> 4.  asking the maintainers of activities.sugarlabs.org to link to the
> test cases and test results,
>
> 5.  merging the test cases with the activity source code.

Thanks for the tips and we can followup on these.

--
Chamindra de Silva
Director and CTO, Sahana Foundation