[Testing] [olpc-nz] Today's/Tonight's QA Phone Call Conclusions & Unofficial Minutes

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Feb 28 16:03:48 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:34:54AM +1300, Tom Parker wrote:
> It looks like Tabitha has already tried the ticker approach on the
> laptop.org tracker (see first paragraph of the laptop.org.nz link
> above). I wasn't able to construct a query there to find just those
> tickets -- is there a more advanced search function in trac than the
> single search box? I'd like to exclude closed tickets for a start.

Make sure you have JavaScript enabled in your browser, as the view
tickets result pages have expandable filters and columns sections for
adjusting the search and the format of the result set.  These are
triggered by clicking on "> Filters" and "> Columns", where ">" is a
right-facing grey triangle.

http://dev.laptop.org/reports has a series of report definitions
predefined, and report 42 "XO-1.5 Test in Build or Release" is relevant,
since Tabitha's tickets appear there.

http://dev.laptop.org/report/42 is the direct link to that report.

Once you get to that report, you can adjust the filters and columns
accordingly.  You can then save the query by making a bookmark, since
the URL of the query entirely describes it.

If you need a query saved as a report, let me know.  It's a very simple
process.  That gives you the advantage of a much shorter URL to use in
mail and IRC.

I've adjusted tickets #9879 and #9880 ... type changed from defect to
task.  I suggest that all test request tickets use a type of task, since
they do not at the time represent component defects.

Now report 42 is XO-1.5 specific.  By that I mean that it excludes
tickets from old milestones associated with XO-1 development.  Many of
those tickets are not being monitored closely.  Because of this, it is
important when creating test tickets not to use the milestone as if it
is a version field.  If you did that, and connected the test ticket to
milestone 8.2.1, then it would not appear in this report.

It's a terminology issue ... a milestone is a plan, not a version.

So here's the ticket query that shows only Tabitha's test request
tickets:

http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&next_action=test+in+release&next_action=test+in+build&milestone=%218.2.0+%28was+Update.2%29&milestone=%218.2.1&milestone=%219.1.0-cancelled&milestone=%219.2.0-cancelled&milestone=%218.2.2&report=42&summary=%7Etest+request&type=task&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=priority&col=component

... which I've passed to TinyURL.com in case of mail client corruption,
so you can instead click on http://tinyurl.com/yjhfa78 ... a worthy
service for such huge URLs.

> Problems arising out of test requests should be filed as regular bugs.
> I'm used to jira, where we have different types of tickets, so you can
> raise a bug, an improvement or a support request. Looking at
> trac.sugarlabs.org, I don't see anything similar.

Something must be wrong with your browser, the Sugar Labs trac instance
certainly has ticket types.  Here's a query by type "task":

http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/query?type=task

> The test request has to be duplicated for each release (otherwise we
> wouldn't know that new testing is required) but the details on how to
> do the testing shouldn't be included in the test request ticket
> itself. They should be on a wiki, or in a test management software
> somewhere.

No need to duplicate, you could re-open the same ticket.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/