[Testing] Testing summary - Adding power logging.

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Dec 6 18:13:14 EST 2010

On 12/03/2010 10:44 PM, Tom Parker wrote:
> Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 4 December 2010.
> Who: Fabiana, Nevyn, Tom, Robin, Tara&  family, Mat.
>
> Testing os356 on XO-1:
> Maze works

I'd like to request that you start to keep track of your power usage
when you run your test suite on the XOs (1 and 1.5)

With new builds its very easy.  Starting with os356 and beyond.

If you do this on earlier builds (<os356) it will still generate info
but there are a few things missing from the log that makes processing
the data harder.

Here's the steps I'd like you add into your testing procedure.

1) Start with a full charged XO that is plugged up to external power.
2) Boot the system up and either go to a VT or start up a Terminal activity.
2) At the shell prompt type:
   sudo powerd-config =new-pwrlog "<comment about the log>"

<comment> can be any descriptive text you want to use about the log.
Its mostly just for a human looking at the log. Things like what build,
what XO, what battery, etc are automatically added in the log so none of
that does has to be in the comment.  Perhaps your name and any special
circumstances surrounding the test.

3) Unplug the XO from external power.
4) Run all of your test suites.
5) After your final test run is complete either shut the laptop down or
do another 'sudo powerd-config =new-pwrlog' to flush the log file.

I think I would prefer if you did a shutdown because then I have a nice
marker for a successful run.

Then tar up all the files in the ~olpc/power-logs and send them to me or
upload them somewhere on dev.l.o.

Its not necessary to have one run per log file or anything like that.
Just start on a full battery and go until either you are running out of
battery or you are done with your testing.

I just want to get some data on what the power usage distribution looks
like when people are using the new builds.

If you have to restart the laptop for some reason then don't worry about
making another new log with 'powerd-config =new-pwrlog' powerd will
create a new log when it starts up and I should be able to piece them
together manually.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child