[Testing] [support-gang] XO "Doctor House" Update... Surprising Results!

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Aug 25 23:40:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:08:47PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Another update... Scott was right about the firmware too.  It
> automatically updated when I installed os851.  Sooo... it looks like
> if the clock battery is able to be charged, all the other problems are
> easily resolved.

Yes.

The Fix_Clock page on the Wiki handles both a discharged clock battery
and a broken battery holder.

In your situation it was the discharged clock battery, usually from
storage of an XO, that led to the clock losing time, in conjunction with
the laptops being secure, which led to problems booting.

Once the units are on power and being used, the clock battery will have
recharged, connecting to the internet and then shutting down will set
the clock, and the clock battery will keep the time ticking.

Please, consider carefully whether you need the laptops to still be
secured, and unlock them if not.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/