[Testing] OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 3

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 22:58:37 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2
>
> http://build.laptop.org/10.1.2/xo-1.5/os852
> http://build.laptop.org/10.1.2/xo-1/os852

olpc-update still said `sudo olpc-update 10.1.2_xo1-851` , I assume
that's a typo and changed it and the .usb links to 852.

Despite having only 69 MB free space on my XO-1, I did the olpc-update
from os851.  I got some errors (I'll attach output in another e-mail)
but the irsync_dirty update succeeded. I now have *more* free space
than I did before, perhaps the magic of /versions freed up space
because os851 and os852 are closer than 802 and os850.

== Activity groups ==
I notice there's a new activity group,
  url=http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1Lite
I think this was in os851 as well, but I'm pretty sure that either
olpc-update to os851 or the Software update control panel gave me
all-new activities such as Finance, Physics, Stopwatch... one reason I
have so little space!
==> Has anyone else upgrading an XO-1 gotten these extra activities?
If so this seems significant because it really cuts down space.

I documented the relationship between G1G1Lite and the other
Activities/G1G1 pages on the wiki, I think I got it right.

== Release notes ==
The release notes need to mention big-picture changes like Fedora 9
to Fedora 11, Sugar 0.82.1 to 0.84.16, new firmware, etc.
It would be nice if the release notes described the changes since
8.2.1 instead of referring to 10.1.0 and 10.1.1 and intermediate
builds.

The release notes don't tell you to reboot after olpc-update , though
that's the last thing olpc-update prints.  And
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Reboot is inaccurate now that the Restart
command is gone from the center XO menu in Favorites mode of the Home
view.

I'll add more release note details in the Talk page as requested.

> * Disable XO-1 idle-suspend for release due to blockers #10232 and #10233
Oh well.  It felt weird to have that sluggish response after the
screen dimmed (if this is what caused it), but I was getting used to
it.

Thanks and congratulations!
--
=S Page