[Testing] XO "Doctor House" Update... Surprising Results!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 18:57:39 EDT 2010

Hi S-G-ers and Testers....

For those of you who have been following the saga of the XO-1s we were having trouble updating and getting the correct date, here is an interesting note.  First I should mention that the University* wifi in the MathScience Resource center is really  bad and it is impossible to really do any meaningful work on it.  Because of that, we hadn't connected any of the problem machines to the internet.  Then this afternoon I got this little note in the middle of a message from Scott Dowdle (also a SGer and works at MSU in their computer lab):

"My guess would be that the clock is wrong initially but once the laptop is online, it gets the correct date / time and sets it. Most of them started up with the date / time error but once I connected them to the Internet with a USB wired adaptor, they set the correct time."

Well...surprise...  I had accessed the internet at home with machine #2 last night to ask for a developer key and then shut it down.  I didn't startup again until I got Scott's note this afternoon.  The unhappy face is gone! The Moon Activity is correct!  Time is correct. Such a simple fix!  Who knew?

Caryl

P.S. Scott is president of the Bozeman LUG.  They plan to complete the updates and software installation at their meeting tomorrow night.  I will do the same for XO #2 which I have here at my house.  Now we are debating...
os851 (which we have already downloaded) or os852 (which means fighting with another huge download). I think we will try for 852.
*Montana State University, Bozeman