[Testing] Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sat Aug 21 10:54:19 EDT 2010

Hi Tabitha,

   > XO-1.5 testing os373pyg

(FWIW, it'd be great if you could test the latest 10.1.2 candidate
build; we're going to release it soon.)

   > Speak - concerned about the content. The robot strongly believes
   > in Christianity. We were quite concerned by its views on
   > homosexuality, murder, and other acts. About the best response we
   > got was when it told you to go ask Lucy, Simon, or Elvis. Are the
   > laptops being deployed in any countries that are strongly not
   > Christian? It quoted the bible a few times which could cause
   > issues. Where it picks an answer from a pool of potential
   > answers, it could cause offense as it changes between yes, no and
   > maybe.

Wow, I had no idea.  The answers are stored in text files, inside
Speak.activity/bot/alice/*.aiml.

Would anyone be interested in volunteering to strip out the concerning
content and send a patch?

   > Words game - can only translate from English to other
   > languages. We wanted to translate from Spanish to English

I think this is a UI misunderstanding (UI patches welcome) -- you can
type a word in either of the two current languages, and it will show
the translation for it.  You don't have to tell it which direction you
want to translate in before you type; it figures that out based on
what the word was.

   > Also got some strange characters in the translation.

Unfortunately the state of free translating dictionaries is not very
good, so we often find markup and notes inside the translation field,
or attempts at accents that didn't quite work.  The translations are
stored in Words.activity/lang/*.txt.

   > Words displays incorrect translation for words that are not in
   > the dictionary.

It'll continue to show the last translation it had for the series of
characters as you were typing, but won't put a translation up into the
answer text box above.  (It does this because it doesn't know when
you've finished typing.)

Thanks for the testing!

- Chris.
--