[Testing] gcc installation issue in Fedora-13-Live-Soas.iso image on Virtual Box

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 5 13:27:27 EDT 2010

Hi Kushan,

On 5 Aug 2010, at 17:51, kushan athukorala <kushan.athukorala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Fedora-13-Live-Soas.iso image on a Oracle Virtual Box for automated test designs for OLPC activities.
>
> When I try to 'yum install gcc', the system hangs while updating glibc-common library.

I've  not installed gcc, but for me usually that is a sign that yum has run out of memory. The various builds don't usually have any swap memory set as solid-state memory doesn't last as long when used for many/repeated write cycles. That's also one of the reasons yum is not usually used for regular users to upgrade and install activities in Sugar.

Make sure you have just Terminal open in Sugar to save memory, or even better, run you from the text console, ctrl+alt+F1 (ctrl+alt+F3 to get back to the Sugar GUI again). Heavy users of yum often add an extra sd card or USB, and set that as swap space, though your test environment will behave somewhat differently in high memory use situations.

--Gary