[Testing] Sugar on the Asus Eee 701

Tabitha Roder tabitha at hrdnz.com
Tue Oct 27 04:59:55 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 08:36 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> You could use the current Fedora 11 Gnome LiveCD to install that and
> sugar is only around 20-30 meg on top of the standard gnome desktop
> and it will give you the same version of sugar but you'll probably get
> better hardware support for the 701. You can also do the same with the
> Fedora 12 Beta which works very well on the 701 and get the 0.86
> release of sugar. Once you have sugar installed you can easily remove
> the gnome desktop or leave there as a second option.

Noting that I rely on technical assistance being an educator not a
techie, the moment it got harder than insert USB and follow easy GUI
install guide, my helper came along. Here is his response:

having had a less than stellar experience with SOAS fedora, and my
most recent previous experience of redhat involved choosing between
RPM hell, red carpet (which would screw your system), yum (which would
screw your system, or apt-get (which would screw your system in ways
you didn't  think were possible), I thought I'd stay with what I know
and use ubuntu
(I know, that redhat package management stuff is ancient history and
yum seems to work fine now, I only mention it to illustrate that I
last used redhat in the dark ages, a kind soul on irc told me that yum
won that battle)

the netbook remix seems to be working well on the eee, although I only
used it for about an 10 minutes before handing off to the 9 year old

The guys at https://launchpad.net/~sugarteam are apparently actively
working to package sugar for ubuntu, so I'll try that out next time