[Testing] [support-gang] Still Problems Saving in Scratch. Who Can Solve This Mystery?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sun Jul 5 09:12:56 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 10:55:39PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> OK, I tried the code in the Terminal Activity again a few times,
> being sure I was typing it in correctly and now I get this result:
[...]
> Then it returns a prompt.  All very colorful, but I haven't a clue
> what it all means.

You're not typing what they asked you to (since it's gibberish to you
that's understandable).  You typed

ls ld ~olpc/Activities/Scratch.activity

...but you want to type:

ls -ld ~olpc/Activities/Scratch.activity

(note the minus sign, and where the spaces are)

> See my initial message at the bottom to see what the problem is
> saving a Scratch project on XOs running build 802.

I think Bryan's answered your original question: one has to change the
folder in which one saves from the default that's offered.

> I do notice that the code on the prompt varies with the machine:
> olpc at xo-27-90-C8 ~]$
> olpc at xo-0D-5C-68 ~]$
> olpc at xo-27-8A-0F ~]$
> I assume these are just individual codes for each machine.

Your assumption is correct.

The fix is what Bryan said:

> > You can save projects in scratch by putting them in a certain folder.

> > (1) Click save

> > (2) When the save dialog comes up, click the "Desktop" button on the
> > left.

> > (3) Type the name of your project, and click OK

> > The Desktop shortcut goes to
> > /home/olpc/isolation/1/uid_to_home_dir/10000/data, which I guess you
> > can save to from within Scratch.

> > Screenshot of dialog after clicking Desktop (and revealing the path):
> > http://shell.sugarlabs.org/~bjordan/Picture%2038.png

> Thanks,Caryl

Martin