[Testing] Announcing the first 8.2.1 release candidate.

Carl Klitscher carlkli at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 14 16:23:36 EST 2009

Got a bit of time testing some of this at the Wellington test session.

Access point is a wrt54g v1.1 running dd-wrt v23. tested using WEP and WPA
only. XO is running candidate-800 as a soft upgrade from 8.2.1-25

WEP - Minor user error on session setup but once the connection was made then
it was pretty solid. Consistently connected immediately after reboot. Forgot
to test suspend/resume.

WPA - Had no luck at all getting TKIP to connect, just a constant recycle of
the key request pop-up and no actual connection however given subsequent
results this may not be a reflection on TKIP.

WPA with AES - Had switched from TKIP to AES to see if that worked and
initially got nowhere either. No amount of entering key would initiate
connection. AP symbol stayed as a lock. Cancelled all dialogs and went and
got a coffee. Tried one more time to set up a connection (hover, click
connect and enter AP key) and it all worked perfectly...
On reboot the AP symbol had changed from a lock to a star so we know the key
but initial connect (hover/connect) failed asking for key again. Rebooted but
no change... cancelled dialogs, waited a minute, reconnected perfectly.
Rebooted, cancelled initial connection dialog, initiated connection manually
and reconnected perfectly. All subsequent reboot/cancel/connect sequences
worked.
Suspend/resume. Lost all connections on s/r and the ap was never part of the
resume sequence, only the mesh. First attempt at manual ap connection after
resume failed but the second after the cancel/reconnect sequence worked.

Didn't get a chance to go back and test the TKIP connection with the
cancel/reconnect sequence unfortunately but I suspect that given the
encrypted ap connection is solid once it's up this is something about the
initial dialog sequence that is the issue. Some field not being populated
correctly right at the start??

Carl