[Testing] Caryl's 8.2.0 smoketest results

S Page info at skierpage.com
Tue Oct 14 17:06:39 EDT 2008

Mel Chua wrote that the wonderful Caryl Bigenho said:

>> After disabling Gnash I
>> was supposed to "reboot" (why does the XO call it "Restart?"  NuBs
>> will be confused.)

In all wiki pages, it should be a link to the reboot page which explains
the ways to do it.  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adobe_Flash#Installation
has the [[reboot] link.  I think we should do the opposite and change
all pages to say "restart your XO" while linking to that page.

>>  It started to restart and then hung. ...
>> waiting for x server to shut down
>> xinit: unexpected signal 15
>>  I finally did a force quit
>> with the power button and turned it back on.

That sounds like something I saw in "Re: Please help test our new 8.2.0
weekly beta, joyride-2301!", Deepak Saxena responded:
> On Aug 15 2008, at 01:49, S Page was caught saying:
>> > I rebooted from the XO menu in Home view.  The last message on screen
>> > was in a console error, something like "error 15 from xinit".  But 10
>> > minutes later that was still on screen.  I pressed a few keys and the
>> > screen changed to the safety graphic and the machine restarted.
>
> See #7812. The pressing a few keys and getting it to restart is new
> information and I've added it to the bug.

>> a full page of:
>>
>> invalid filter 1
>> invalid filter 1

That's one of many irritating yet benign messages that show up.
IMO they ought to be fixed, they're a real disincentive to everyone who
peeks under the covers and discovers an error message, only to learn
programmers have determined it's not relevant.  I filed trac 8833.

Cheers,
--
=S Page