[Testing] Displaying testing metrics in motivating ways

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Wed Nov 12 19:06:53 EST 2008

Since Cjl is out of town, I'm seeding this conversation on his behalf.

Questions we need to address:

1. Which data/metrics do our stakeholders want to see? In what format,
with what frequency?
2. What tools can we construct/repurpose/use to automate #1?

Thoughts so far, from Cjl with some of my edits:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_testing_meetings/2008-11-06/Displaying_testing_metrics_in_motivating_ways

Please discuss.

Actually, even better than discussion - if you have an idea for this
that will take you less than 1 hour to implement, Do It. If you have an
idea that will take you more than 1 hour to implement, take that hour to
write up the idea and what kind of resources/effort it might take.
Either way, put it on the wiki, post it to this list, and write yourself
into the agenda for the next community test meeting to demo and request
feedback/adoption.

I am firmly convinced that:

1. Our volunteer test community members are brilliant
2. many_people.smartness() > few_people.smartness()
3. Often, the best thing I can do to help facilitate great work by
volunteers is to Get The Heck Out Of Their Way. (/Maybe/ sometimes to
get other things the heck out of their way as well. Maybe.)

--
Mel Chua
QA/Support Engineer
mel at laptop.org