[Testing] 1_Hour_Smoke_Test, 702, q2d14, Spanish 1xB4 hardware

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Mar 26 20:37:58 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,

Not sure what format you wanted reports in, so I've just listed each
'verify' (V) item from the smoke test page, with my result (R) below.
Performed with build 702, q2d14, and one Spanish B4 XO. Activities
installed via USB from http://laptop.org/bundles.zip.

Main issue I hit was that the default Browse page for the local
Library content broke after trying to do the tests for downloading
additional library bundles. Not sure what happened, or if I was just
unlucky, trying to work out where is should really be pointing by
default - never had a problem with it before.

Quick comments on the suggested http://laptop.org/bundles.zip test
activities:

- TamTamJam bottom tabs for Drumkits/Loops/All/Animals/etc... not in
Spanish
- Etoys, mix of English and some Spanish
- Calculate, couple of missing translations (enter & clear), also .xo
is not latest version
- Words, missing Spanish in UI
- StopWatch, missing Spanish
- StarChart, missing Spanish
- Moon, missing Spanish (it's my activity so I guess my issue)
- Scratch, missing Spanish (I'm sure I've used a translated version in
the past week from somewhere)
- Shame that _so_ many activities do not match Sugar UI requirements...
- All activities launched correctly, quickly tested, and could be
exited cleanly

OK.... the smoke tests:

V: If in secure mode: the laptop shows pretty boot (only with stable
builds)
R: Not able to test (need a signed build))

V: The laptop boots into sugar
R: Success

V: The journal loads
R: Success

V: The laptop connects to a school server
R: Not able to test

V: The laptop connects to a preferred AP
R: Success

V: The laptop connects to an MPP
R: Not able to test

V: The laptop connects to a local mesh
R: Not able to test (no other XOs)

V: The XO should connect properly to a WEP or WPA enabled AP
R: Success (WEP)

V: Measure shows the sound waves going into the microphone. (whistling
should create a sine wave)
R: Success

V: In TamTam Jam, there is volume, and the instruments play.
R: Success

V: Both the microphone and camera lights are on when Record is the
active activity.
R: Success

V: All activities open and close properly
R: Success

V: The journal is able to resume the paint entry.
R: Success

V: There are items in the journal for all the audio, video, and image
files you created in record.
R: Success

V: Browse opens properly.
R: Success

V: The index bar comes up on the left of the page.
R: Success

V: You are able to browse the web for pictures.
R: Success

V: Pressing the upper right button toggles the menu bar visible/not
visible.
R: Success

V: The image copies to the clipboard and has an eyeball in the middle
of the file symbol (means it's recognized as an image file)
R: Success

V: The clipboard object is added to the journal.
R: Success

V: Write opens properly.
R: Success

V: Dragging the image from the clipboard to the write document places
a copy of the image in the document.
R: Success

V: You are able to move and resize the document.
R: Success

V: When you invite another XO in the mesh view, an icon of the shared
activity shows up in that XO's tray.
R: Not able to test

V: The write document is shared properly.
R: Not able to test

V: Whatever one laptop does to the document, both laptops see the
changes.
R: Not able to test

V: The USB key icon comes up in the journal.
R: Success

V: Searching for "sud" gets you the sudoku activity bundle
R: Success

V: Resuming the bundle, installs the activity and runs it.
R: Success

V: The file downloads from the browser.
R: Success

V: The activity is installed, and its icon shows up in the tray.
R: Success

V: The activity loads.
R: Success

V: The XO can get to the Library grid page.
R: Success

V: When you click on the .xol bundle it is downloaded to the clipboard
+ journal, and it is installed in /home/olpc/Library
R: Success

V: The file is accessible in the browser index.
R: Failed, on clean launch of Browser I now get a File Not Found
error /home/olpc/.library_pages/index.html

V: You are able to open and view the bible.
R: Partial success, bible is viewable only by navigating the browser
through the file system.

V: The XO can get to the "biology" menu.
R: Partial success, can now only get there by navigating the browser
through the file system.

V: When you click on the Phyla [PDF] link, the .pdf file is downloaded
to the journal
R: Success

V: ...and is opened by Read automatically.
R: Failed. PDF needed to be resumed from Journal (I always assumed
this was the correct behaviour)

V: .ogg test, the browser opens the totem-player.
R: Success

V: The file is played.
R: Success

V: Each of the items dragged onto the USB stick show up as items on it.
R: Success

V: The usb stick unmounts, and the journal view no longer contains a
bottom bar with journal and usb icons.
R: Success

V: Each item transferred to the usb stick resumes on the second XO.
R: Success

V: The shared chat activity shows up in the mesh view of both laptops.
R: Not able to test

V: Whatever one laptop types in the chat window after both are
connected is seen by both laptops.
R: Not able to test

V: Chat works both ways.
R: Not able to test

V: The shared Distance activity shows up in the mesh view of both
laptops.
R: Not able to test

V: The tiny circle with a check on the screen of both XOs should turn
green.
R: Not able to test

V: The first XO should make sounds after the check key is pressed.
R: Not able to test

V: Both XOs should show the distance between each other on the screen.
R: Not able to test

V: Distance works both ways.
R: Not able to test

V: School Server testing with different connection types
R: Not able to test

V: After filling journal with 200+ objects the Journal does not crash
(give a blank screen)
R: Success

V: The laptop does not slow down significantly.
R: Success

V: Booting into X does not take much longer than normal.
R: Success

V: The laptop comes out of each suspend successfully.
R: Not able to test

V: The laptop never hangs in suspend or reboots itself when coming out
of suspend.
R: Not able to test

Regards,
Gary