[Testing] Finance-1 quick feedback

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Dec 27 12:34:03 EST 2008

Hi Wade,

Just downloaded Finance-1.xo to give it a whirl on the XO (the screen
shots make it look pretty interesting, and I wanted to see your help
designs in action). Haven't used it much yet, but a few quick feedback
items:

1) I was initially confused as the icon Finance-1 is using is for
Colors-activity.svg :-)
2) Seems to be in $ (dollar currency) only, really will need some way
of picking a currency (perhaps also a smart initial default based on
country language setting). The other alternative could be to use a
generic little symbolic money/currency icon that is non-locale
specific, to keep your UI nice and simple, little pile of coins and/or
notes perhaps like your intended activity icon design.
3) The View tab icons (Register, Budget, Chart) should be a radio
button group so they indicate which view mode is currently set.
4) When in Budget view, setting a Period to something other than Month
doesn't make sense. The budget graph scale changes, but not the values
to match. Not sure if you should just make Budget view lock to Month
only, or if it makes sense scaling values (i.e Month budget = $10, so
a Year view would show budget at $120).
5) When entering items into the register, I was wanting to use tab to
get to the different input fields (description -> amount -> category).

Will add Finance to the list of activities I try to spend some testing
time with – looks like it will be a great Activity addition. :-)

--Gary