[Testing] SimCity and Micropolis Testing

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:59:48 EST 2008

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the comments.

SimCity is a great learning tool for understanding relationships,
variables, economics and computers. It covers all the core concepts of
cause and effect, variation and transformation which are at the heart of
contructionist learning. Most strategy and simulation games (e.g. other
Sims - anyone remember SimAnt?, Age of Empires, Civilization, even the
classic Lemonade Stand game of the late 70s) have been very educational
for me since I was a kid and now for my kids. They teach you to think
and plan ahead and understand consequences. They also teach you the
sceintific method of setting variables in place, testing the theory,
then tweaking and improving it.

It also gives background in city planning, econonics, and design. I hope
the fact that its fun and visually exciting doesn't distract you from
the great learnng potential.

Its been around for a very long time. Have you ever tried it?

Its already "ported" and just needs testing now.

That's my take. Let me know if that's not clear or not convincing.

Thanks,

Greg S