[Testing] functioning "peekaboo" code available for sugar-jhbuild

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sun Apr 13 02:13:19 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I finally updated and lightly polished my 'peekaboo' code, so I'm
making it available for release.  peekaboo is a simple hack for logging
and viewing code tracing information for "live" processes, and I built
it expressly for sugar (although I'm sure it'll be useful to others).

peekaboo is particularly useful for people who aren't familiar with
sugar and want to see what a particular click does; you can do things
like look at what was executed since the last click, etc.  I think
it's a neat way to explore code bases while executing.

--

peekaboo is described in a bit more detail and demoed here,

	http://ivory.idyll.org/blog/mar-08/peekaboo-and-screencasts.html

and you can download the source code changes to sugar directly here,

	http://iorich.caltech.edu/~t/transfer/public/sugar-peekaboo/

or use git:

	http://iorich.caltech.edu/~t/git/sugar/

Right now, both the sugar shell and sugar-activity are instrumented to
support peekaboo, nothing else.  This means that the basic shell and
most (all?) activities will report their code tracing information to the
peekaboo viewer.

--

peekaboo itself is available here,

	http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/peekaboo-latest.tar.gz

There's no setup.py; you'll need to install figleaf, and then put
peekaboo in the PYTHONPATH somewhere.

Then, run 'python peek_view.py' in one window, and 'sugar-jhbuild run'
in another.  Now visit http://localhost:8080/ and play around.  Enjoy...

--

Please let me know if you have any trouble.

cheers,
--titus