[Testing] Community-based testing of OLPC activities

Kim Quirk kim.quirk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:01:38 EST 2007

Hi Greg,
Thanks for putting this together. I think the matrix of test plans is
a good idea. We had tried to create something like this at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User_Stories_Testing site. Yours is a more
friendly and probably easier to use, so it would be great if you can
incorporate your look/style with the test plans and info that are
there.

My biggest issue with a wiki based test case management system is that
you can't easily track results. Test cases are rarely run once -- but
need to be run many times after pretty much any code changes that
might affect it. If there is some way to hook this 'result' page into
a test case management database, then we would get the best of both
worlds. Easy update, easy run and good reporting on a wiki page.

The kind of reporting we need is: date/timestamp for each run; tester;
pass/fail results; link to bugs

Do you think that can be done in the wiki?

Another idea that people have had -- but no time to implement -- is a
Test Activity. This activity could be loaded onto the laptop or
simulator and run from there to provide you with all the test cases.
You pick a test case, run it, add your pass/fail, comments and or bug
tracking numbers and when you hit 'submit' it sends the results back
to our testcase mgmt server.

To me this would be ideal... but it seems very difficult to pull
together all the pieces. Someone is working on the log viewer,
gatherer (it is important to have the logs whenever there is a
problem); others have thought about a Test Activity; and some have
looked into a test case mgmt database, but have not found something we
can use.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas as well. I have copied the
'testing' mailing list. A group of people interested in the testing
problem. Can I add your email to this list?

Regards,
Kim