[Testing] Security meeting update -7/26/07, Minutes

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Fri Jul 27 10:17:46 EDT 2007

Minutes

Attending: Christina, Scott, Michael Stone, Michael Burns, Nelson, Jim, Kim,
Wad, Ivan
Some discussions on builds, branches, and 'stable' build

   - Need to have a usable build on a weekly basis
   - What does stable mean?
      - Went through QA Testing, well-documented work-arounds
      - Updated Release Notes

Trial-2 Updates:

   - Activation from USB keys is working
   - Upgrade preserving the user data; no UI - should it boot off of
   Linux to do the initial backup
   - Server can take requests from laptop; sets up SSH keys; create a
   user account
   - Laptop takes appropriate information from school server (where to
   back up and what jabber server to use)
   - Everything needs to be packaged, built and tested
   - How this backup gets initiated (script from developer's console is
   good)

Jared: Jabber service is being installed on the school server:
schoolserver.laptop.org

Dan Winship: has pulled together the backup to school server scripts for
getting into a build

For Trial-2 or Trial-3:

   - Can add a button or link from mesh view to kick off the school
   server registration.
   - Can add a button or link from journal for school server backup.

Testing:

   - Tinderbox
   - Need to test that we are using the local jabber server (via mesh
   view)
   - Testing what breaks when the school server is down
   - Need to test upgrading from 385, 406.15, and 515 to 5xx preserving
   user data
   - Do the registration process from a laptop; do the school server
   backup; restore script
   - Testing activation as if it comes from Quanta
      - Create the leases file that includes all B4 machines
      - Download these to a stick; activate your own machine by
      booting with usb stick
      - What do we do for the B1 and B2 units out in the field? Need
      to special case these machines because some of them might not have a good
      UUID or SN.
   - Need to test out of memory across containers

Other meetings/discussions:

   - Ivan: What we want to do for security for ship requires quite a bit
   of UI; currently not resourced.
   - Need complete definition of Trial-2 school server.

   - Are we shipping laptops pre-activated today? yes
   - Can we ship deactivated laptops starting tomorrow?
      - Create a leases file for all B4 machines
      - Download these to a stick; activate your own machine by
      booting with usb stick
      - What do we do for the B1 and B2 units out in the field? Need
      to special case these machines because some of them might not have a good
      UUID or SN.

C build - what can we do to test the whole system?

   - Ivan will go to Quanta for this C build to monitor the whole system.

   - Quanta loads their own software for testing; activation not an issue

   - At the end of the mfg line the last bits that are written include a
   flag that it is leaving mfg and is no longer writable.
   - Need to ensure this is working and check for epoxy (Kim will ask
   about this plan)
   - We can provide C build leases individually to ensure that works
   - Need to work with deployment teams for these details
   - If we have a buy one - give one away; what will we do with leases?
   Probably we will need to pre-activate those (or something)

Trial-3

   - Upgrades from the school server
   - School server activation
   - 'Real' cryptography from server
   - Anti-theft server; lease and upgrade management
   - School Server UI for teacher management of student laptops
      - May not want the teacher to report to OLPC about stolen
      products -- needs to go through school ministry
      - Install team, starts up school server and configuration
      - Need to re-associate the laptop with a student

   - Containers (Noah and Michael)
   - First 2 of the 5 big pieces of containerization
      - Process that puts activities inside of containers
      - Unrestricted containers for Trial-3
      - Patch the sugar merge; get rainbow in the build
      - Integrate the school server updater with security service

   - Collabra concerns
      - How to integrate the presence service with security service
      - Should be small changes: distinction between people they been
      introduced to and those who have not (probably a future feature) - Get
      P_Indentity working

   - How activation interacts with open firmware
      - Needs to refuse to provide a prompt without developer key
      - Don't want to lock out repairs by shutting down a laptop
      - We are making an assumption about repairs -- need to know what
      is really going to happen

ISSUES: future discussion

   - What threats we are protecting against (should be documented)
   - How to extend our identity to the larger internet (future feature)
   - How to handle the out of memory issue? Don't know how to share
   memory outside of containers.
   - Having a tinderbox, automated test to ensure all activities will
   still work after
   - Until we lock things down... we don't need developer keys
      - Do we need something earlier for upgrades? Upgrades will be
      locked out if you have changed the filesystem
      - We DO need developer keys for ship (need it in the firmware)
   - What to cut when push comes to shove would be good (Ivan)

- Kim