[sugar] Restoring journal entries (was Re: [Server-devel] Backup And Restore Feature Documentation)

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 10:04:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be nice to architect this in a way such that someone without
> access to an XS could perhaps subscribe to an external service offered
> up on the Internet to achieve the same functionality. We had (long
> ago) a standing offer from Google at one point for such as service.

That could be nice.  I might be just as happy (or, happier?) with a
system (admittedly similar to Apple's Time Machine) which would allow
one to declare an external hard drive as a backup device, and then
automatically handle backups to that drive whenever it is plugged in
(just as we hope to have the XOs automatically backup to the school
server).  Anyone (I'm thinking G1G1) can get their hands on an
external hard drive; there's much more overhead involved in a network
backup in terms of accounts, agreements, bandwidth, etc.

The benefit to the Google solution, of course, is that it might serve
as a second tier for kids in schools as well.  Essentially, those
without a school server would just skip the intermediate step.

- Eben