[sugar] Sugar USB testing

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Oct 10 10:30:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Caroline Meeks
> <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> > :)  I made a new one, but then left it in my computer at home! I did
> bring
> > my XO and everyone liked it of course.
> >
> > I posted my notes from the visit to Fenway today:
> >
> http://schoolkey.net/blog/2008/10/08/first-meeting-with-future-engineers-at-fenway-high-school
>
> Very exciting, thanks for posting it! We should get your blog on
> planet.sugarlabs.org.

That would be cool

> > Note that the Fenway has pretty  new computers so I'm not as worried
> about
> > Fedora not booting or running out of RAM.
> >
> > I have a few of the kids from the "Future Engineers" club set up with a
> SLAX
> > USB.  I'd like to go back in 2 or 3 weeks with a Sugar USB for them to
> play
> > with.  Do you think that is a feasible time table?
>
> Yeah, I hope so.

Great

> > Here is my wish list:
> >
> > Bootable Sugar USB
>
> I made another iteration on it. This one seem to work pretty well on a
> 256M box. Memory usage is similar to Sugar on the XO.
>
> http://www.sugarlabs.org/~marco/sugar-livecd-1marco.iso<http://www.sugarlabs.org/%7Emarco/sugar-livecd-1marco.iso>

Just downloaded. Will burn a CD shortly and test on the machines I have here
before I leave for the weekend. I'll be back Tuesday.

What is the process of going from a CD to a USB?

> There are only a few activities on it, but I'd appreciate testing.
> Making sure the system works properly would be a big step forward.
>
> Do you have access to a Fedora linux box to be able to create the liveusb?
>
> > Boot Helper CD
>
> Do you have any pointer about this? I can look at it and see what it
> would take to make it work with Fedora liveusb.

ftp://ftp.slax.org/SLAX-6.x/slax-boot-usb-from-cd-6.0.7.iso

and our discussion on it:
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=view&parentID=21028

> > Instructions on how to add an Apps such as GIMP
>
> Sugar support for normal desktop applications is suboptimal at the
> moment. We are working to address it properly in this release cycle.
> Admittedly GIMP is probably the hardest application to handle, because
> of his unusual windows model.
>
> In the meantime it's possible to use the X activity to run gimp:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/X_Activity
>
> And yeah writing instructions of how to get gimp to work using this
> approach should not be hard.

Cool, should be good enough for now.  I was impressed at the "iphone app
store" mentality.  They all immediately wanted to install apps on it.  I
think this is a great thing and a great path towards getting students to
create apps.  But this is a long term issue, not something to be solved this
month.

> > A Jabber Server for them to collaborate (nice to have)
>
> David might have better insight than me on this one, since he is
> working on sorting out Sugar Labs infrastructure. OLPC is also working
> on setting up a server I think, so using that one is another
> possibility.

I may have the resources to do this, I'll talk to the sysadmin I work with.

> > A plan for how they can give feedback to the Sugar community in a useful,
> > nonintrusive way.
>
> I'd like to hear everyone thoughts about this but personally I
> wouldn't mind at all to have them open tickets about the problems they
> find with the software. Less specific feedback like impressions or
> feature requests could go in the wiki:
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/Request_New_Features

This sounds good for now. We will need to write up clear instructions. I can
do that and submit them to you guys for feedback.

Longer term, I have a vision of having hundreds of middle and high school
developed country service+technology oriented kids with Sugar.  Someone
comes out with a new app or a new release and they want it tested they put
it out to this list and get quick feedback.  These kids are also a potential
grassroots marketing arm into the elementary schools as we encourage them to
demo to their old teachers.

Ok off to test the CD

Thanks!
Caroline