[sugar] notes on 8.2.0, specifically 767 (was 8.2.1)

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 23:46:48 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:20 AM, rihoward1 at gmail.com
<rihoward1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have had no trouble connecting both 767 and 656 to the XS .4 that anna is
> running.
> We have tested all sorts of activities using collaboration via the .4 XS.
> On Nov 26, 2008, at 8:22 AM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

Actually connecting to the XS with gabble works fine for us here at
OLE. Sorry about my faillure to communicate on this point back to
Bryan and wasting your time.

I was put on the problem of gabble not working about a week ago, and
initially sure enough gabble didn't work. So I turned logging on, and
the files told me connecting was a success, but the next line of
logging said GNUTLS discovered that to some packet wasn't of the right
length, and the whole connecting process was unwound. This happened
every time a connection was attempted. The behaviour was reproducible
on every XO we tested. Then we got a scheduled power outage. After
rebooting the server we fiddled a bit with the gabble config files,
and presto, we had gabble working. Problem solved. But after I tried
to reproduce the error yet again on other XO's with the initial
configuration, it turned out I couldn't.

So apparently we had problems for months here at OLE to get gabble
working, but I can't say anything con- or destructive about that,
because I wasn't involved at the time. When we build a 0.4 XS from
scratch, we can connect to Gabble no problem atm. It didn't seem to be
worth it to file a bug for a problem that I can't reproduce, and for
which I lost the gabble log files, since they are overwritten every
time sugar restarts.

Funny that after months of apparent non-working gabble, a working
gabble can be quite frustrating too.

/Ties