[sugar] Activity updates in joyride (was Re: TurtleArt-18)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Nov 25 18:18:59 EST 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 13:45, Walter Bender wrote:

> I did update the link in w.l.o/go/Activities/All but I actually was
> hoping for some testing on this rather major intervention before it
> became the defacto version for G1G1.2. I don't know the wiki magic
> regarding controlling which version is included in the updates.

Hi Walter, OK understood, sorry for jumping the gun.

I've installed v18 on 3 XOs here all running release 8.2-767, resumed
a whole bunch of old activities and created a range of new ones from
clean. All loaded and displayed just fine, though I do note there now
seems a very long delay on starting or resuming TurtleArt (~20sec or
more) where I'm left looking at a half drawn toolbar and canvas as
TurtleArt sorts it self out (pulsing launchwindow has finished).

I erased TurtleArt-18 and used the control panel to 'update' to v10
(that's the version G1G1 points to). TurtleArt-10 does also pause
momentarily at half drawn toolbar and canvas, but it's only for ~2
seconds. So there's quite a launch time regression with v18. Rendering/
caching all those svg tiles?

--Gary