[sugar] Installing sugar on Debian lenny

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-sugar at silbe.org
Sun Nov 23 07:27:34 EST 2008

Hi!

Not sure if this is the correct list but I couldn't find a better match.

I'm currently trying to install sugar (Sucrose) on Debian lenny (fresh
install on a laptop) using sugar-jhbuild (the official packages are
rather old) as root. There are several problems; inconsistent
instructions don't make it any easier.
In general, I'm following the "Sugar on Debian" wiki page [1]. That page
in itself is already a bit inconsistent (e.g. last sentence of first
paragraph vs. section 1.3.3). If there's no objection I'm going to fix
that and some of the things mentioned below.

Most of the problems seem to be search path related (so probably have
the main root cause); for the last one, I haven't found any solution or
workaround yet so I'm stuck.

Problems encountered so far:
1. "build-base" has been renamed to "bootstrap" in sugar-jhbuild, but
    even the output of --help-commands gives the old name (how about
    autogeneration of the commands list?).

2. "bootstrap" fails in some random package because libbz2-dev wasn't
    installed (not mentioned on the wiki page) => Python didn't build
    bz2 module

3. Even though [1] tells me that running "./sugar-jhbuild bootstrap"
    is sufficient to get all dependencies (apart from some required for
    bootstrap itself), "build" is telling me to install a whole load a
    packages (which I did).

4. GConf-dbus not finding gtk packages during install: Worked around
    by exporting PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig prior to invoking
    sugar-jhbuild.

4. When trying to build sugar-base, some auto* tool
    (aclocal?) doesn't find the definition of AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT
    (contained in /usr/share/aclocal/glib-gettext.m4).
    Worked around be manually checking out a clean copy of
    sugar-base and invoking the autogen.sh command that failed
    from within sugar-jhbuild. Exporting
    ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/share/aclocal" did NOT help.

5. When trying to build hippo-canvas, configure doesn't accept
    librsvg. config.log complains about not finding pthread-stubs.pc.
    Worked around by adding /usr/share/pkgconfig to
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

6. When trying to build hippo-canvas, the auto* tools have trouble
    with the GTK documentation:

    ./autogen.sh --prefix /usr/local/src/sugar-jhbuild/install --libdir
'${exec_prefix}/lib'
    Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `config'.
    configure.ac:9: installing `config/install-sh'
    configure.ac:9: installing `config/missing'
    docs/../gtk-doc.make:7: GTK_DOC_USE_LIBTOOL does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
    docs/Makefile.am:39:   `docs/../gtk-doc.make' included from here
    docs/../gtk-doc.make:48: ENABLE_GTK_DOC does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
    docs/Makefile.am:39:   `docs/../gtk-doc.make' included from here
    docs/../gtk-doc.make:153: ENABLE_GTK_DOC does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
    docs/Makefile.am:39:   `docs/../gtk-doc.make' included from here
    Makefile-introspection.am:16: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make
extension
    Makefile.am:64:   `Makefile-introspection.am' included from here
    Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
    Makefile.am: installing `config/depcomp'
    autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
    configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --enable-gtk-doc
    [...]
    checking for LIBHIPPOCANVAS... yes
    ./configure: line 20822: syntax error near unexpected token `1.6'
    ./configure: line 20822: `GTK_DOC_CHECK(1.6)'
    *** error during stage configure of hippo-canvas: ########## Error
running ./autogen.sh --prefix /usr/local/src/sugar-jhbuild/install
--libdir '${exec_prefix}/lib'    *** [9/41]

    Worked around be manually checking out a clean copy of hippo-canvas
    and invoking the autogen.sh command that failed from within
    sugar-jhbuild.

7. sugar-toolkit: Same as sugar-base.

8. artwork: icon-slicer missing. Fetched source package
    icon-slicer_0.3-1ubuntu2 from Ubuntu and built it for lenny.

9. sugar: Similar to sugar-base, but with more errors. Same workaround
    (still some error messages, but appears to build fine).

10. evince: Some auto* stuff again:

     Checking for required M4 macros...
       gnome-common.m4 not found
       gnome-compiler-flags.m4 not found
       glib-gettext.m4 not found
       intltool.m4 not found
       gtk-doc.m4 not found
     ***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build evince
       were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
       macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
       ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

    Worked around by exporting ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/share/aclocal".

11. xulrunner: zip missing. Installed.

12. read-activity: setup.py cannot import sugar.activity:

     *** Building read-activity *** [1/1]
     python setup.py build
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "setup.py", line 19, in ?
         from sugar.activity import bundlebuilder
     ImportError: No module named sugar.activity
     *** error during stage build of read-activity: ########## Error
running python setup.py build *** [1/1]

     This is where I'm currently stuck at. Juggling with PYTHONPATH,
     PYTHON_LIB and PYTHONHOME gives me several different error
     messages, but I don't think it can help - both Python and
     sugar* were built by sugar-jhbuild, so adding paths to
     system-provided modules and libraries is only going to make
     it worse, not better.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Debian

CU Sascha

--