[sugar] Presence Service

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 08:51:36 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:26, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From a collaboration POV, my top priority is to sit down with
>> Guillaume while he's here and understand their (Collabora's) thinking
>> about Gadget and other reasons why the presence service might be evil
>> that I don't know yet -- I seem to be on my way to succeed fixing the
>> evils I know about in it ;-)
>
> Since Guillaume mentioned "Presence Service must die!!1!" there seems
> to be some confusion about what Presence Service is, and why Collabora
> proposed to replace it.
> Presence Service is not ejabberd or any component running on the XS.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Presence_Service contains a diagram...

Thanks for your patient explanation! I misunderstood it in the past to
be the 'abstracted' name of the "who's around" listing that ejabberd
provides (using a shared roster) and that serverless setups must
provide in other ways.

Sorry about the confusion!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions