[sugar] Stock items in Sugar

Torello Querci torello at torosoft.com
Sat Nov 15 06:06:28 EST 2008

Hi

Il giorno ven, 14/11/2008 alle 22.52 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta ha
scritto:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> To properly support BIDI, and to make things easier for activity
> >> developers in the long run, I think it may be a good idea to support
> >> stock items in Sugar. We should ideally support the standard GTK
> >> stock-items as well as a few Sugar specific ones in
> >> sugar.graphics.icon.Icon and sugar.graphics.icon.CanvasIcon to begin
> >> with. Are there any other specific widgets which should support this ?
> >>
> >> Once pixbuf support is in Icon and CanvasIcon, it looks like
> >> gtk.widget.render_icon() would help us implement the rest of the
> >> puzzle (I have some proof of concept code in my system, which seems to
> >> work). Does this sound like the right way, or is there anything better
> >> ?
> >
> > Any reason to not use gtk.Image directly? Does our own icon subclass
> > buy us anything here?
>
> But in that case, how do we set support for stock in our Icon implementations ?

It is possibile to have this image stock usable from environment
different from python? Ok python is the main language used to write
activity (and sugar itself) but make this icon usable from other
environment can help this activity writer to mantains the same look of
python activity.

> >> Also, what would be the best way forward to register new stock-icons
> >> as Sugar starts up ? GTK seems to do it via GtkIconFactory and
> >> friends. If we do that, what would be the entry point for us to
> >> register the stock-items ?
> >
> > Are you thinking about activities or sugar?
> >

> Sugar (we use quite a few of our own icons in the core sugar UI itself
> (eg: control panel, journal, etc)

If sugar define a lots of "official" icon in this way that can be used
without the use of python I suppose that this is welcomed.

Best Regards,
Torello