[sugar] Wrapping Sugar activities for other desktops

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Nov 8 12:45:45 EST 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, our journal use model says that the document is picked before
>> the app is called, so if we support
>>
>>  $ sugar-wrapper Write.xo mydocument.rtf
>>
>> then we're done. (Again, I might be extraordinarily naive about this :-) ).
>
> Currently activities uses the datastore dbus service to open/save
> files (ultimately they just open/save from disk, but there are some
> dbus calls to interact with the datastore), so it would mean to
> support two different code paths in the activities.

For the simple case of launching an activity by resuming an instance from
the Journal, I don't think that's true.  The only case when things get
tricky is when an activity uses the Object Selector.   Even then, we could
impersonate the datastore API, but replace the UI by the standard GTK
filechooser.

--Ben