[sugar] Release process

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:44:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Claims
> ------
>
> I. There is no excuse for breaking centralized build streams that
> others depend on when one-off 'topic builds' and dedicated build
> streams are available. Please shout loudly whenever you could use a
> topic build or build stream. They're very easy to make and if large
> demand exists, it's straightforward to build better tool support.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean exactly here. Are we going to
keep both a centralized unstable build (joyride) *and* decentralized
topic builds?

> IV. If we get bigger, then this will cease to scale and we would be
> well advised to adapt something like the Debian automated filtration
> process. However, at our present scale, I think I can get us better
> results by personally negotiating each block of changes. Consequently,
> with Dennis' help, I'm maintaining build streams for the 8.1.1 release
> (this week) and soon, for the 8.2 (August) release. If you've made or
> intend to make changes since 703 and haven't yet done so, you need to
> come talk to me about how to we're going to release them!

Which build branch requires your approval and which doesn't?

I'm fine with personal negotiation, but we need to document how
maintainers are supposed to negotiate inclusion in the builds and
through which tools it concretely happens.

Marco