[sugar] [IAEP] Sugar for the rich

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed May 28 01:28:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> There are Sugar packages for
>> Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu, the OLPC images, Greg livecd.
>
> The point of my post was that if I were living in a remote area
> somewhere, I might well have received a XO from some organization.
> I'd be much less likely to have received Fedora or Debian or Ubuntu,
> or images or a livecd.
>
>> What do you mean with jhbuild inclusion in the mainline development?
>
> I quoted the post titled "Sucrose 0.81.1 Development Release".  The
> only purpose mentioned in that announcement, or in the webpage it
> pointed to, was: "test the release in jhbuild".  I concluded that
> what the title of the announcement meant by "Release" was "we have
> packaged the source so it can be given to jhbuild".  If that *was*
> the purpose of the announcement, then obviously jhbuild is an
> integral (i.e., mainline) part of the (development) release process.
>
> --------
>
>> Source code is always available, and releases are
>> released to everyone who can use them simultaneously.
>
> The point of my post (and its title) was that if I were living in an
> economically disadvantaged region somewhere, I might well have
> received a XO from some organization.  I'd be much less likely to
> have received facilities to be able to build from source.
>
>> you can get closer to the action (and contribute
>> useful bug reports) by installing daily builds.
>
> Yes, please -- what is the URI for where the daily __builds__ are
> kept which include Sucrose 0.81.1 ??

All information on Sugar is (or should be) available through the Wiki page
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar

Getting Started

    * Installing Sugar (on various platforms)
    * Sugar Instructions, booting and getting started with Sugar

and all of the pages on installing Sugar should be listed at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Installing_Sugar

and thus we find, with a bit more poking around,

Developers: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_with_sugar-jhbuild from
source in git.
Bleeding edge: http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/olpc/streams/,
including joyride and faster
Update-1: http://pilgrim.laptop.org/~pilgrim/olpc/streams/update.1/
Stable: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images#Latest_Stable_Build points
to http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/
Live CD: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/LiveCD

I'll add this list to the Sugar Wiki page.

> mikus

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/