[sugar] Sugar for the rich

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at bolinux.org
Tue May 27 17:24:36 EDT 2008

> that point, seriously neglecting the challenge of getting
> Constructionism into the schools of the developed countries, but most
> of the community is clear on that need.

Ed, I do not feel that statement is inclusive of our diversity.

While sadly it might be correct, that the rest of us are several
minorities, not all in the community agree on that "need".

I know that you personally do go out of your way to make feel people
included, so I assume a glitch.

Quite a few of us are getting more and more aware that the best model is
on contents and maybe activities based on collaboration *among* and
*from* the local stakeholders rather than *for* them by outsiders, and
based on local experience and knowledge with support from outsiders
*when* those will respect these parameters.

In principle this is not a contradiction of Constructionism/vism,
actually from my understanding, this is what it is all about.  Yet we
are not putting that into practice.

I personally am all for Constructionism, as long as it's an option I am
not forced to push in its present incarnation, not a closed-end,
vertical deal as it is so far, where while there is not a written
mandate to exclude others, too many seem just happy to keep local
stakeholders away by not prioritizing models where actual collaboration
is the norm and encouraged expectation.

As a community, we are diverse, and getting Constructionism into the
schools of develop... oh, you said developed countries.  So it WAS a glitch.

I guess it's OK.  Just wanted to make a point that we all are together
into developing education tools, yes, but not necessarily all of us
around this kind of Constructionism as the end.

> Computing and Internet without the new education model would be a
> major step forward in global development. With the new model, it will
> be far more potent.

Finally, I really do not know what to say.

Ed's thoughts have very often been an inspiration to me.

I feel like he is a valued mentor, in a peculiar Socratic way, where I
learn a lot when I react to what he brings.  I respect Ed deeply, but so
far I seem to be showing it wrong by getting on his case every time he
speaks, which tells more about my bad manners than about his patience.

I do not want, community, this to be seen as meaning disrespect to Ed.
The fact that I disagree with some of his thoughts should not be
construed as a disagreement with his dedication to a cause I share, in a
different set of priorities than his.

I just apologize for all wrong impression.

And I am learning when I read his posts, often more than from many others.

Thank you, Ed.

Yama