[sugar] Pippy VS Develop

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Tue May 20 17:06:45 EDT 2008

> > Looking at the use cases, one tempting way to streamline the UI is to use
> > modifier keys. Shift-view source would always point to Develop, while
> > unmodified view source would default to Develop but be overrideable by a
>
> I think this is ultimately the wrong course.  If we can come up with a
> solution that presents options in a meaningful way without prior
> knowledge of the user, we are much better off in my opinion.  I think
> my above proposal is a potential direction which could make this work.

I agree, your proposal above is closer to ideal (though mine is easier in
the short term). However, part of my motivation for my modifier key proposal
was that some of the within-same-activity use cases could be everyday uses,
where an intervening dialog would be an annoyance. Can you think of a way
for the power user to short-circuit the dialog? For instance, there could be
some fine print in the dialog to the effect that "future shift-view-source
from this activity will repeat whatever option you select now".