[sugar] [Testing] Release management for upcoming bug fix releases and August release

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Sat May 17 16:36:38 EDT 2008

The prioritized list has been discussed in a number of venues, and has
general acceptance. Chuck is having regular management mtgs (weekly) so I
intend to put this priority list in front of this group every week to make
sure that this list is well communicated and if someone needs to bring up a
new priority or make a change in the order, we will get some notice.

The second step, triaging bugs, is going to require help from everyone
familiar with their area of the code base. It is important that people who
have a stake in getting a bug fixed take some initiative here to represent
their most critical bugs and send your thoughts on priorities to Michael and
Jim. I don't believe this is a one person job. Here are some suggestions:

* Ricardo and Wad have been prioritizing the wireless and mesh issues.
* Marco has led the sugar team bug priorities in the past (do you want to do
that again?).
* Chris would probably be best one for gathering the power mgmt related
issues.
* Martin should represent server issues.
* Each developer or tester should think about what they feel are high
priority issues (upgrade issues, touchpad issues, backup) and send your
requests to Michael and Jim to make sure they get evaluated.

Bug triage is very time consuming, so I would ask that everyone chip in and
Jim and Michael be responsible for understanding/prioritizing the trac items
for the August release.

Use cases are being developed as we go along. For instance, we have some use
cases for the network/mesh scenarios. We should put for requirements or use
cases whenever a feature or bug fix is more complicated than something one
person can implement in an afternoon (like the control panel), or if there
is disagreement about what it is supposed to look like to the end user.

[Michael, I know you have a wiki page started for the August release. Can
you put links to priorities, use cases, requirements, and trac filters
associated with this release? Ideally we could have test cases and results
linked there as well.]

Other thoughts?
Kim