[sugar] a new paradigm for user-to-user communication

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Fri May 16 13:30:57 EDT 2008

This came up when discussing the future of the Sur list, 40+ emails per
day already, quite a few directly dealing with in-the-field teacher
requests and suggestions.
It is being sent to Sugar since there is no open list to discuss
deployment issues and there is a desire for a Sugarized solution to
email lists/forums, and to Localization, since this is a matter that
will affect other deployments besides the ones in Latin America.

*re: scaling up a list*
To have any success when this starts really growing, I am of the opinion
that we will need to figure out a different paradigm.  I am not yet a
terrible Journal fan, but there is something to be said in favor of
re-considering how me manage and list information in a way handy for
people who have little experience with computers.

An un-moderated email list can be really hard for noobs, especially when
technical or ideological threads get mixed in with genuine "how do I
do..." questions.

A moderated list stifles quick exchange and requires someone to do it.

The day when kids get on board, such a new approach will be all the more
important, something as simple as using a Mailman list, but different
organically, logistically and probably with a sugarized UI.

This, not just for achieving meaningful conversation, but also for good
contemporary-fashioned safety.  At the very least some sort of re-mailer
that NEVER allows a kid's email address to be visible before we will
encourage kids to come in.  I remember the Swedes designed something
along those lines, I'll try to hunt that.  Another take would eb an
internal email server in the XS limited to the LAN, but then that would
be useless for school-2-school and international collaboration among kids.

*re:wikis*
I am not sure our beloved are ready for that.  A wiki is a daunting
thing when the current TUE difficulty is not being able to figure out
how to change one's subscription to digest format because single
messages are too much of a hassle...  But yes, we NEED to get there.

Currently Peru lead setup a shared moodle, Uruguay folks use Google
groups and blogs, many of them are getting into Sur, which is the idea
especially for plainfolk exchange.

*re:further needs*
What is urgently needed,(as of yesterday :-)) is a training tool as to
how to participate in a list, how to use  a list, etc.  I want to keep
this list a happy family with lots, lots of honest questions and
answers, definitely not a place for religious wars or technical
development, but as active as active can be.

*re: signups*
We need to have people sign up to a list, any list, but why not Sur :-),
right at the moment they are getting their first ever teacher training.

This is not being done currently, I do not know of any good reason not
to do it.

re: quality of information
I feel again like the journalist I was when much younger.  We will need
input from Those Who Know so that answers are truthful and timely.  It
is a sad fact that a lot of our PR has been more effective than our
development, so while intending to change my ways :-), I hope we will
avoid plain criticism, but also plain denial.

Yama
Join the fun, be our #100 list member!
we're at 94 right now
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/olpc-sur