[sugar] Release schedule and process

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri May 16 06:24:25 EDT 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>>  | Blessing a browser is not going to remove competition.
>>  | In practice, GNOME blesses a browser and despite most of the
>>  | distributor/users are using another one, with no interoperability
>>  | issues.
>>
>>  This is the key example:  Gnome has an official browser (Epiphany) and an
>>  official mail client (Evolution).  I don't know anybody who uses either on
>>  their own computers.  Yet most still have both installed.  This is stupid
>>  and wasteful.
>
> That's a distribution choice. Fedora doesn't install epiphany by default.
>
>>  In truth, I think we are in agreement.
>>
>>  As I said before, we should maintain two builds: sugar-base and
>>  sugar-demo.  sugar-base is essentially a virtual machine for Activities.
>>  It does not come with any activities; it is just the empty shell.
>>  sugar-demo is an example build, containing a complete set of activities to
>>  show what we imagine a typical sugar installation to look like.  Both of
>>  these builds should be built whenever there is a change, like joyride.
>>  Most developers will run sugar-demo.  Most users will run custom builds
>>  created by their deployments.  Deployments will create custom builds by
>>  starting with a release version of the sugar-base build and using a
>>  customization system to add Activities.  The resulting custom build may be
>>  similar to sugar-demo, but need not contain all the activities in
>> sugar-demo.
>
> I'm thinking and talking about upstream development, schedule and
> sources, not about builds. But yeah, leaving that aside I don't think
> we disagree.
>
> Marco

Actually I want to add to this activities discussion that even that we do not
have the activities installed by default the dependencies are.
xulrunner/hulahop for browse, libabiword for write...

What is the plan for those? I know that we do not have dependency handling at
the moment but maybe we would have to then.

Best,
    SImon