[sugar] OLPC priorities for Sugar in the August release

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:28:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
<ypod at mit.edu> wrote:
> Are there any plans to provide a command-line based interface to managing UI
> options such as share/join/leave/invite? I would argue that in the long run
> it would be faster to type something like "join write by Tom" which would
> have the same effect as many point-and-click actions in order to join the
> write activity that tom started (or which Tom is participating in now).

This is an interesting idea, though I hope that we can make the
search/filter UI strong enough to make it almost redundant.  For
instance, typing in simply "Write Tom" should turn up all instances of
write which have participants named Tom in them (plus some other
stuff, potentially).  Typing something more specific like
"activity:write starter:tom" would find more precise results.  If we
can make that filter nearly instant, it would simply take /one/ click
to join the appropriate activity.  The search field is focused when
arriving in the view anyway, so even from within an activity it only
takes one extra keystroke (mesh button) to initiate this process.  (I
recognize that pressing enter would be faster than even this single
click, but at the same time wonder how frequently we could have 100%
certainty of what a given command intends, since the usernames and
activity names are not guaranteed to be unique anyway.)

- Eben