[sugar] Release schedule and process

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Wed May 14 08:02:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Bert Freudenberg
<bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>  Or, more concretely, should Etoys be considered?

I think Sugar would have great benefits if Etoys was included. It's
best the educational application we have. And it's also the hardest to
integrate. It would help ensuring that we keep integration with
activities which doesn't use a lot of our libraries and components is
kept very high on the agenda.

> I don't think so, but
>  that's more on a hunch than by arguments, it would meet the criteria
>  listed. What exactly does it mean to be a "basic activity", for its
>  developers,

I think it means to be part of the out-of-the-box user experience that
the Sugar community wants to offer to his users.

> for deployment, for support, etc.?

Deployment and support are part of the distribution and as such I
think they should be considered separately. Sugar, as an open source
project, should make it's best effort to aid distributors (and pay a
lot of attention to their feedback) but it should not try to determine
their processes. In general I'm convinced a coordinated release makes
the life of distributors a lot easier (and I think both GNOME and KDE
development processes are a proof of it).

Marco