[sugar] Release schedule and process

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at
Wed May 14 06:36:19 EDT 2008

"Walter Bender" <walter.bender at gmail.com>schrieb am 13.05.2008 18:41:57:
> Ah. I was missing a subtly: do we agree that activities can be
> released on their own timeframe, but that some activities are released
> with the Sugar releases? For example, Write could be updated whenever
> the Abiword team feels it is appropriate, perhaps in sync with other
> Abiword releases, but a Sugar release would always include a working
> Write? Is this the Gnome model?

I don't think that it is necessary to sync the release date of Sugar and
the Activities. But what is definitely necessary is to sync versioning.

I'm still testing it out (we have a small XO kindergarten at Linuxwochen
Vienna this Saturday). At the moment it seems that about 50% of all
Activities won't work with Version 703 or have never really worked at all.

If you include all GCompris Activities the number probably goes up to
80?90% of Activities that won't work in one way or the other (no .xo file
available, missing rpm packages, won?t start, major functional
glitches,?).

Without any dependency checking in the .xo files and no information at all
that e.g. VideoChat Version X is supposed to work with Sugar version Y you
are forced to spend many frustrating hours rechecking everything with each
and every new Sugar release.

cu andreas