[sugar] Shared Terminal Idea

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue May 13 20:10:30 EDT 2008

At Tue, 13 May 2008 17:39:04 -0400,
Walter Bender wrote:

> Etoys has a DMX-like feature built in -- you can tile workspaces or
> share a single workspace -- but it is more than what I was thinking.
> The idea is not so much to make a large virtual space -- although
> there could be times when that could be useful -- but rather to simply
> break an activity out into multiple views across different machines,
> e.g., using a remote machine to serve as the debugging console for
> something you are building in Pippy, etc. I don't think these sorts of
> things need be bandwidth intensive at all.

  For Etoys, the NetMorph external package provides it, but it is
(again) "good enough for a 5 minutes demo" quality and not
particularly bandwidth conscious.

  For a low bandwidth solution, I think the approach OpenCroquet takes
would be worth to look at.

-- Yoshiki

  I also wish that these activities are more or less like objects in
the object-oriented sense; they can communicate via some messaging
system like DBus and do stuff together.  If they can be
non-rectangular and non-fullscreen windows on X, the user can feel
that they are mixing and matching various media objects.  And if one
of these objects are remote display, opening the debugging console and
showing stuff there would be another kind of messages.